Friday, April 10, 2009

A cake better left to the professionals


Beth warned me ... she warned me from the inception of this convoluted idea. She said "Coach 'Gelli, I have made Boston Cream Pie from scratch. It was better from the box." Now, next to Mom and Sis, it is Beth's counsel that I seek on any issue - from men to baking. And just like always, this was advice I should have heeded. I really thought that Charlie would appreciate effort more so than the finished product, but I was wrong. Here goes... my dance with the devil known as Boston Cream Pie.

I got the recipe from the Joy of Cooking website, as none of the millions of cookbooks I own have a recipe for this monstrosity. That should have been a hint. I gathered all the ingredients and made the cake (pie) first. It was your basic white cake which did not come out terribly moist. The cake called for:

5 large eggs

3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar, divided

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/2 cup (60 grams) plain cake flour (not self-rising)

1/4 cup (35 grams) all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons milk

2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter

1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar

2 comments:

Kerri said...

My goodness. That sounds like the most ridiculous recipe ever. You are constantly attempting what I would consider the Iron Man marathons of baking. There has to be an easier boston cream pie recipe out there! Just reading all the "in a separate bowl"s made me wince at the thought of the growing dish pile.

I agree with you though, the best way to erase a mistake is by returning to a task you know you can regain your glory with. If I could make babka it would definitely be my go-to for making me feel like a successful baketress again.

Dayna Michelle said...

So, by the way, to make amends for the horrible cake, I went to buy Charlie a real Boston Cream Pie on Saturday night. But, it was late, and I was rushed to an engagement at Ralph's Diner in Worcester, and I ended up dorking and getting a CHOCOLATE Boston Cream Pie. The poor man went all of Easter without a proper Boston Cream Pie (though I did get him B.C.P. donuts for breakfast). I guess he will appreciate the Boston Cream Pie he gets on his birthday all the more...