Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Crispy Little Devils


MAPLE SNICKERDOODLES!

After a stressful start to the week, I was able to indulge in a relaxing afternoon of baking today. Being a teacher, occasionally I am observed for different reasons. I had one of these observations on Tuesday morning. This means that I spent the last week making sure that everything would flow perfectly in the classroom. The long and short of it is - well, I couldn't bake.

Then, Tuesday afternoon, I coached my very first cross country meet. My students were incredible and actually scored a big victory against two local towns. After a long day yesterday, all I wanted to do was go to bed and watch House.

Today, however, was the perfect baking day. I got home from cross country practice and perused the web for new creations. I found the most divine recipe for these little gems from heaven - maple snickerdoodles. HO-LY COW are these things good. Just as with most snickerdoodles, these have a lovely butter and sugar base with a lot of cinnamon. This fabulous twist included three tablespoons of real deal maple syrup. The recipe called for rolling the dough in maple sugar. Not having any in my cupboard (and knowing well how expensive such a purchase would be) I opted to create a mixture of cinnamon, sugar, brown sugar, and the slightest bit of maple syrup. Not enough syrup to make it wet, just enough to slightly moisten the sugar.

After ten minutes, these little badboys came out, chewy in the center, crispy and lovely on top. Biscuit may have a new favorite cookie. He is off taking a nap right now, but I am certain he's going to enjoy these treats.

I am also in the process of making a delicious honey cornbread recipe to go with the chili I procured from my parents' house last night. I also have the dough chilling in the fridge right now to make Kerri Annie's shortbread cookies, as featured on the Threadbare Bakery Blog. Not having pecans in the house, I decided to try this recipe with cashews. I did opt to keep the wheat flour versus white flour. Interestingly enough, this recipe also calls for brown sugar instead of white. I am so SURE this will be delicious, too. I have a big bag of chocolate ready and waiting for these cashew cookies to be dipped in.


In the meanwhile, above is a snickerdoodle snapshot I took after they cooled. Here below is an image of my cornbread that I am begining to fear may very well spill over into the oven as a result of being full to the brim. Eeek! Wish me luck!

No comments: