Friday, September 12, 2008

Trial and Error



In baking, just like in life, some things come out incredible; other times you fall flat on your face. However, tonight I had a couple successes in the kitchen. I made some pretty delicious blueberry scones and a white chocolate peanut butter bread pudding.

The bread pudding was inspired by a dining experience I had at my sister's rehearsal dinner. I sampled a delicious buttscotch bread pudding. Tonight, in the mood to bake, I scoured my cupboards and came across a bag of unopened white chocolate chips. This was a find! Naturally, I keep several baking essentials on hand at all times - pumpkin, corn syrup, sweetened condensed milk, BUTTAH, and nuts of all varieties; but a bag of morsels does not last long. I remember why I purchased them. I had set out to make white chocolate raspberry cupcakes, but opted for a lighter, fluffier lemon-raspberry cupcake recipe instead. The white chips had been in hiding and it was time for them to make an appearance in my oven.

Chocolate (white or milk, it doesn't matter!) always goes with peanut butter. I sliced up some light wheat toast, popped it in some corningware with the white chocolate chips, and soaked the bread bits with a mixture of cinnamon, brown sugar, and a little milk. Voila! 50 minutes at 375 degrees ... and DELICIOUS! I will be sure to put up some shots in the near future! For now, you can feast your eyes on some of my summer baking projects.

Here is a green moose that looks like a rhino. The other fun detail is the decapitated moose on the top right. His head was scrumptious.

This moose baking cookie session was unbelievably fun. The best part was even before Biscuit and I started baking - we were in the supermarket buying frosting and I kept getting frustrated saying I couldn't find any brown frosting --- um, yea, all of the chocolate frostings ARE brown. I was a little tired that day.

Summer cakes

The German Chocolate Pecan Cake was Biscuit's birthday treat; the other was for our summer landlord, Len. The cake was a lemon layer cake with a center of raspberry preserves in the center. The cake was frosted with a basic white frosting and accented with fresh raspberries stuffed with white chocolate chips and mint.

No comments: