Friday, September 26, 2008

More Good Stuff on the Way!

Celebrate Fall




Even though it is nasty and rainy out today, I love to think of all the goodness of fall - farm produce fresh from the harvest, chilly nights and high school football games, the change of humid air into cool, breathable air, warm one-pot dinners made in a dutch over, and those first fallen leaves. I wanted to put up some pictures I took at the apple orchard last week to remind me that even though today is dreary, there is a lot of fall still on its way!

I just found out that a student friend of mine is celebrating a birthday tomorrow. That, of course, means that the good ol' Kitchenaid will have some work to do this weekend. I found out that this young lady is quite a chocolate fan and enjoys brownies and cupcakes. Maybe I will have to whip out my cupcake decorating kit, or do some fanciful variation on traditional brownies. Biscuit is going to hate me - all of a sudden fall hits and I am back to backing unhealthy treats. I did, however, download a recipe for carrot and date cookies. I will let you know if I try those.






I got pretty excited thinking that the holidays were coming up, too! Fall means Thanksgiving and lots of pies and crisps of all kinds (my favorite is my German Chocolate Pecan Pie), but it also means Christmas is just around the corner. December holidays call for more hearty treats like my rugelach (a Jewish pastry with a cream cheese dough) and my pistachio-cranberry biscotti dipped in white chocolate. I am thinking about just giving out cookies for the holidays this year instead of actual gifts. I am pretty sure they might be appreciated more than mere travel mugs or scented lotions.


All these pumpkins will soon be delicious pies! YUM!


Biscuit and I are off to hit the gym. It is too wet outside to run; but we have to expend calories somehow if we are going to be eating so many baked goods! I think for supper we might try stuffed acorn squash. I have a recipe that calls for sliced apples, sausage, sage, bread crumbs, and eggs, all delectably tucked amidst the flesh of acorn squash. If we venture in that direction for dinner tonight I will be sure to capture it digitally and put it up here. Happy weekend, everyone!

2 comments:

Writer 1 said...

I can't wait to try the squash recipe with you. You are amazing! Love, Biscuit

Unknown said...

Hey, checked out your blog on Sunday. Way to be extra postful. You are an inspiration. I have put you on my list of blogs that I am following so that I can ensure I do not miss any posts.